Financial Support

Various opportunities for financial assistance are available to UC Davis graduate students.

Teaching Assistantships

The program's primary method of funding its graduate students is through teaching assistantships (TAs) within the Department of Communication. As with admission, financial assistance is awarded on a competitive basis. We have been able to offer assistantships to many of the graduate students we admit. The department typically assigns teaching assistants to instruct students in one of our basic skills courses, although other assignments sometimes are available.

Graduate Research Assistantships

The number of graduate research assistantships typically is limited. Their number is dependent on faculty research funding. They are awarded and renewed at the discretion of the funded faculty member.


The Graduate Division administers UC Davis fellowship and graduate scholarship funds. Our students compete with students in other departments' graduate programs for these awards, which are given on the basis of merit. If you are a member of an ethnic minority group or have a disability, consider applying for a Graduate Opportunity Fellowship. The deadline for application is January 15. Procedures and application forms can be found in the "Application For Graduate Admission and Fellowship" booklet you can request from UC Davis Graduate Studies.

Nonresident Tuition Fellowships

Students who are not residents of the state of California are eligible to be considered for a nonresident tuition fellowship. Application information may be found in the "Application For Graduate Admission and Fellowship" booklet. Deadline is January 15. These awards, which are limited in number, cover the nonresident portion of the student's tuition and fees. The program's nominations are based exclusively on merit. Please check the UC Davis Graduate Studies website for more information.

Other Sources of Support

The UC Davis Graduate Financial Aid Office administers several loan, grant and work-study programs that might be of interest to you. For more information contact:

Financial Aid Office
Phone: 530-752-9246
1100 Dutton Hall
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616

Establishing California Residency 

If you are not a resident of California, you should begin to establish residency as soon as possible. As a resident of California, you will not have to pay the more costly out-of-state tuition fee. We encourage you investigate the requirements that must be satisfied to become a legal resident of the state. Guidance on doing so can be found on the website of the Office of the University Registrar.